JAMAICA. Michault. 1674.
Isle de la Iamaique Divisee Par Paroisses Ou Sont Exactement Remarques les Ports et les Bayes - Par le Sieur Modiford.
Lower right: R. Michault Scrip.
11”h x 12 ½”w. Repaired tear at binding stub; overall very good condition. Map by Sir Thomas Modiford, the 4th governor of Jamaica. Engraved by R. Michault.
From Henri Justel’s Recueil de Divers Voyages faits en Afrique et en l’Amerique, qui n’ont point este encore publiez Contenant l’Origine, les Moeurs, les Coutumes & le Commerce des habitans de ces deux Parties du Monde. … (Paris, Louis Billaine, 1674).
The map is based on John Ogilby's map of 1671, “Novissima et Accuratissima Jamaicae “. The island is divided into its parishes. Ports and bays are identified. Mountains are shown by shading. Jamaica had been captured by the British from the Spanish in 1655. Kingston, the present-day capital, had not yet been built (established 1692) when this map was drawn.
Below Jamaica is a large untitled inset of North America extending from the Chesapeake Bay to Venezuela, enclosing the Caribbean Sea and the West Indies. The Mississippi River placed too far to the west and a large spurious lake is shown in present-day Georgia. The place name “Caroline ” is probably that of the old French fort, not the English province of "Carolina" chartered in 1663. Fort Caroline was the first French colony in the present-day United States. It was established near what is now Jacksonville, Florida in 1564 as a refuge for the Huguenots. It lasted one year before being obliterated by the Spanish.